You will love this recipe. Don't be intimated and think it is too hard. Once you have made it once you will make it again and again. Beware! Share it with a friend and they will come back for more.
Hard Oils ( solid at room temperature)
1/3 cup of virgin coconut oil
2 TBSP of cocoa butter or other hard oil
1/2 cup beeswax pastilles or granted beeswax (prefer the pastilles)
Soft Oils (liquid at room temperature)
1/2 cup almond oil or other light oil
1/4 cup olive oil or other heavy oil
1 1/4 cup distilled water
45 to 90 drops of doTERRA essential oils; as desired
Glass measuring cups with pour spouts one each of these sizes:
Hotplate or stove top ( I use electric fry pan with about 1-2 inches of water.
Rubber bowl scrapers
Clean containers for storing body butter. I like to put mine in smaller jars and keep the extra in the refrigerator until I am ready to use.
1. Measure hard oils in the 2 cup measure. Place cup in a saucepan with 1-2 inches of hot water over low to medium heat and stir the hard oil until it is completely melted and clear.
In the meantime:
2. Measure the soft oils into the 1 cup glass measure, set aside.
3.Once the hard oil is melted.
4. Slowly pour soft oils into melted hard oils, stir until melted and smooth.
5. Measure the 1 1/4 cup distilled water into 4 cup glass measure
6. When the combined hard and soft oils blend is almost completely melted and clear.
7. Put the distilled water in the 4 cup measure in the boiling water in the saucepan to heat slightly. You don't want it hot! You want to be able to put your clean finger in the water and just be warm to touch. If the distilled water is too hot it won't whip up with the oil.
The blend of the hard and soft oils and the distilled water need to be close to the same temperature when you dip your clean finger into each to test.
***** TIP: When I take the melted blend of the hard and soft oils out of the hot water, I put the 4 cup measuring cup of the distilled water in the hot water. I have found by the time the blended oil mixture cools enough to do my finger temperature test the water has warmed up enough to be warm to the touch also. They need to be close to the same temperature.*****
8. When the oil mixture and distilled water are cooled to touch, insert the immersion blender into the distilled water.
9. Process at high speed while pouring oil blend mixture into the whirling distilled water. It will splutter and begin to thicken. Scrap oil cup clean and continue to process until oil and water have been blended into a thick creamy semi liquid with no water floating or beading on top. This may take 5-15 minutes depending on room temperature and or tools.
10.If adding essential oil to the batch do it at this point stirring well. Pour cream into clean dry jars or other suitable container. Cap tightly. Store in cool dry place. ( I put the containers I am not using in the refrigerator.) Keeps for 6 months.
PS The last couple of batches; when I have started using the body butter I had some water separation. I just poured off the water and still used the body butter. I am not sure why this is happening.
Share and Enjoy your body butter with someone you love!